Are you enjoying all the summer produce? Today’s recipe for Watermelon Cake is a great way to use some of those awesome fruits!
This is such a healthy way to enjoy dessert. You will not feel guilty at all about having a second serving of this cake. This Watermelon Cake is simply a watermelon rounded with two flat ends covered in fresh whipped cream, topped with berries and kiwis and coated with almonds. What a great way to surprise your friends and family with a great healthy, dessert.
When you slice into the “cake” you will have a beautiful crisp watermelon dessert that your guests can feel good about eating. It is so nice to have dessert and not feel like you over indulged. This Watermelon Cake is light and refreshing.
While the assembly may be a little time consuming and somewhat messy (or maybe that was just me), this Watermelon Cake is worth the time and effort. So the next time you need a dessert this summer, try this Watermelon Cake. It is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
- 1 watermelon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- kiwis, berries and slivered almonds for decorating
- On a large work surface, cut off both ends of watermelon. Slice off the rind and shape so that watermelon resembles a cake. Place a paper towel on a cake stand or large plate. Place watermelon on top of the paper towel (this is to soak up the juice from the watermelon when you cut it).
- To make the fresh whipped cream, add the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream on watermelon just as you would a cake.
- Slice kiwi and place in the middle of the top of the watermelon. Add the raspberries and blueberries around the kiwi.
- Gently press the slivered almonds onto the whipped cream.
- Serve immediately as the whipped cream tends to slide off the watermelon if left too long.
Linked to: Buns in my Oven